Sunday, 5 January 2020

1939 Model 19 Norton road test

-SG- Herewith a re-print of Model 19 and side-car road test

Monday, 30 December 2019

Dirt Track Nortons in The Netherlands

-JdK- Dirt Track ("grasbaanracen") was somewhat popular in the late 1920s - early 1930s in The Netherlands with some of the riders competing on Norton machines. Above we see Arie van der Pluym on a 1930 Model DT on which he was very successful.

Below two photos of D. Sleeuwenhoek on what could be an AJS engine in a model DT frame/tanks/wheels (note the AJS caption and different exhaust pipe) and most probably on a  modified 1930 Model 18. Many thanks to Olav and the VMC for sharing!

Sunday, 29 December 2019

A CS1 in Austria

-SG- Tom has just sent the attached photos of a rather special CS1 used for sprinting etc. in Austria in the late twenties.  His message is below: "Let me show you two interesting pictures I have found in the Hungarian Automobile and Motor Sports 1928 July issue. It depicts Dr Paul Feledy and his early CS1. Dr Feledy is a renowned Hungarian motorcycle racer who won in several local races. One picture shows his bike, a rather tuned CS1 with perhaps a 16H fuel tank instead of the factory part, probably to reduce weight for sprints. He won a kilometre race with 147 kmh (92 mph) top speed.
He made some more alterations to the bike visible at the other picture which came out in the Austrian Allgemeine Automobil-Zeitung."

Saturday, 28 December 2019

Norton's early Four Speed boxes

-SG- The Four Speed 'cross-over' box was fitted to various production Norton models from '26 -'30. It was first used in the sidecar TT events and then - with kickstart mechanism fitted - on models 14, 24, 34 and 44. Somewhat surprisingly, a Model 24 from 1926 has surfaced in South Africa although a previous owner (possibly in what is now Zimbabwe) has discarded the four speed box and fitted a Sturmey Archer three speed CS type, by the simple expedient of turning the rear wheel round so that the drive sprocket is on the left. The new owner has not yet decided whether to search for a four speed box ... time will tell!  Meanwhile here are scans from my files of the relevant parts list / maintenance instructions for this box - not sure of the date of publication but probably late twenties.

Friday, 27 December 2019

1923 ACU certificate

-SG- Courtesy of Ian, here are scans of a certificate issued by the ACU in September 1923 and published in The Motor Cycle. Note that it stresses J L Norton's policy of using 'standard' machines for such efforts! I see the frame number is mentioned (which I have not yet found in the records) but not the engine number.

Wednesday, 25 December 2019

1935 Model CS1 Norton road test

-SG- Martin sent this copy, dated 14 August 1935, containing a CS1 roadtest which seems a very balanced and well written piece which might well be appreciated.

Tuesday, 24 December 2019

Spurious spares

-SG- I have seen odd mentions in Norton letters and literature  about the undesirable use of parts not of Norton origin.  One of the suppliers - I think providing parts for other makes as well -  was J Hemmings and Sons of Liverpool and Ian has kindly lent us a copy of the 1931 price list,  of which scans are attached. Worth noting the text against #HN1037 re the bronze caged OHV rocker bearings ... Thanks for the loan, Ian!

Thursday, 19 December 2019

Vintage Norton Cam Followers, Tappets & Guides. ALL SOLD

The majority of vintage Norton cam followers and tappets / guides OHV I have examined have been in a rather sorry state. So while rebuilding my 1925 Model 18 I decided to remake these important parts. The cam followers (referred to in the parts book as "rockers") and tappets are heat treated and hardened to HRC 54. The guides are made from 4140. I have a few sets for those who need them. ALL SOLD

Monday, 16 December 2019

Hairspring valve tongs

-JdK- Dan has manufactured a batch of hairspring valve tongs which he has copied from an original pair he has. They are £80.00ea with free postage to the UK mainland, World Wide shipping available as cost.  He can be contacted at

Tuesday, 3 December 2019

Late1910s model 3 1/2 HP Norton

-JdK- Caroline sent this photo of her grandfather, a Norton and a calf in the sidecar. Her grandfather was born in  1886. The stirrup type front brake and the appearance suggest a late 1910s-early 1920s Model 3 1/2 HP.
Roger commented: "The Cheshire M registration ended in early 1920 so this would date the registration to late 1918/early 1919.  However, I am looking at motorcycle production after the Great War and very few machines were made before mid 1920 so I suspect that it was a wartime production used by the military as all civilian production was banned in late 1916. As the models didn't change until well after the war ended it will be difficult get get an accurate date but I would suggest 1916."